Thursday, January 19, 2012

That reminds me . . .


So, my little herb garden hydroponic project reminded me of a news story this week that I meant to comment on.

Seems members of Canada's Liberal party are thinking about growing a little herb themselves. At least that's what these ageing hipsters would have you believe. Not buying it.

At its convention last weekend, the party announced it was ready to party, voting to approve a resolution calling for the legalization of marijuana. Not merely the decriminalization (which would be the difference between a criminal charge and a speeding ticket) but the outright legalization (not even a speeding ticket). 

I know, after the pounding the Liberals took in the last election, they're desperately seeking to regain some power, some press, some votes. But to go after the Marijuana Party? Steal their votes? Man, that's cold, dude. And more than a little desperate.

"Let's face up to it Canada," Liberal Leader hopeful Bob Rae said, "the war on drugs has been a complete bust."

Wow. Really? If so, I would contend that the reason for this is Canada's anemic legal system. For the record, I refuse to call it the "Justice System" anymore. Having worked in newspapers for 10 years, and having been married to a cop for almost another 10, I just can't equate the word "justice" with our system. Sorry.

But back to big Bob. Pretty sweeping statement for a guy who just wants to legalize pot. Weed is just a bar room fist fight in the "war on drugs." There are a few more drugs out there, Bob, that constitute the heavy weaponry and battles of "the war." I mean, if that's part of the argument, are we talking about legalizing it all? If the "war on drugs has been a complete bust," then we just throw down our arms and surrender it all?

Now, having said that, I can see a few of the arguments for the legalization of pot. In the mind-altering substance spectrum, it's pretty close to the bottom of the scale. And, I would argue, it's a lot less dangerous than booze. Alcohol makes people stupid (as does pot), but it also makes a lot of people violent. Pot, as a rule, does not. 

Seriously, if booze was illegal, or, more to the point, non-existent tomorrow, police would not be half as busy as they are today. Don't have stats in front of me (mostly cause I don't buy most stats), but experience tells me that a large percentage of cop calls involve alcohol. Spousal abuse, DUI, car accidents, snowmobile accidents, boating accidents, bar fights, house fights, party fights . . . you get the picture.

Okay, back on topic. There is so much to think about here. It's just not a simple solution, either way.

The argument is made, by some, that by legalizing and regulating marijuana, we'll be taking profits from the "criminals" who produce and sell the stuff. (And giving the profits to the criminals in Ottawa . . . ha ha) Maybe. But I don't think the marijuana growers and dealers are gonna just throw their hands in the air and start looking for jobs as Walmart greeters. Although I do expect a lot of job openings in Doritos factories and pizza joints. And that's your stock tip for the day as well, look for publicly-traded pizza companies and invest heavily. This blog just keeps on giving!


Oh, but back to drug dealers seeing the light and getting jobs flipping burgers. Doesn't make sense. The focus will just shift to the next illegal and, more importantly, profitable drug of choice. Unless, of course, Bob is serious about the war being a "complete" loss and the Liberals will make cocaine, ecstasy and heroin legal as well. Didn't hear anything like that coming out of the convention.

But this leads to another question. The line was drawn at marijuana. So what happens if we move the line? What's next on the mind-altering scale, and how long before we move the line again. I don't have an answer to that, but it's a question. Is hash next? Then what?

I'll be honest. I don't think we have to worry about it just yet. I seriously doubt we'll see this plank in the Liberal platform come election time. It looks to me like a stunt designed to draw a little attention, some TV time, a little ink in the big papers, to the convention and the Liberal Party. And hey, mission accomplished. People noticed the Liberals for the first time since the last election. Even I'm talking about them.

But for now, I'll put plans for my brownie factory on the back burner and stick to growing basil and oregano in my little hydroponic plant.

Have a great Thursday, dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment