Saturday, January 28, 2012

7.0 Success


So, sandwich bread v. 7.0. Success at last.

I baked two near-perfect loaves of bread yesterday. After a week or two of researching on line, asking questions on baking forums and watching YouTube videos, I think I've got it beat.

I think. One success does not a baker make. But I'm encouraged.

Honestly, when I started this game, I had no idea how each little step impacted the final product. But I'm learning.

My first mistake, I discovered, was that I had the bread rising, for the second time, in an environment that was just too hot. The bread rose too quickly and the little yeasties got all hot and bothered and kinda burst, in bubble form, through the top of the loaf. Sometimes it happened during the rise, sometimes during the actual baking. But the result was a flat loaf. Still tasty, mind you, but not attractive.

My second mistake involved the shaping of the loaf, prior to the second rise. Pretty sure I was rolling the dough too thin before rolling it up to make my loaf. The result was similar to my first mistake. But a YouTube video set me straight. I no longer roll the dough out prior to shaping. I punch it down, gather it up and then shape it focussing on the outer surface tension. 

For most of you this probably makes no sense, unless you've tried the bread thing.

So I'll leave it at that. And this picture to illustrate:

From left is version 6.o, version 5.0 and, finally, version 7.0


Anyhoo, it's Saturday morning and we've got a trip to the library planned, with a stop at the grocery store.

Holy crap, I sound boring. But that's life.

Have a great day!

P.S. If you really are interested in the bread thing, this is the YouTube video that helped me out. He doesn't punch down his dough, but he's making a different kind of bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment