Monday, January 16, 2012

My little secret . . .


Another Monday morning. Day 16 of my 90 Blogs in 90 Days.

So I guess a follow-up is first on the agenda.

Idris Elba won a Golden Globe last night. Celebrate as you see fit. And check out Luther. Great show.

Personally, I made it through about two hours of the show before nodding off. 

But enough about that. 

This morning I indulged in one of my secret joys. At about 4:30 a.m., with the Whos still a-bed, all the Who's still asnooze, I snuck out of the house, and I loaded my sled.

Okay, it wasn't a sled. It was the manly mini-van. But that doesn't rhyme.

As I crept out of the garage and onto the street, the Northern Lights were decorating the sky. Haven't seen them since Thompson, more than a year ago. It was beautiful, although slightly muted by the streetlights.

I rolled down the road a few hundred feet before turning on my lights. Must be discreet, quiet. She'd be waiting a mere 5 kilometres away. She'd offer warmth on this cold, icy morning.

I'd had a spotty sleep. Pretty sure I got the requisite six hours, but it was broken. A few hours in bed, an hour reading, a couple of hours on the couch . . . she'd wake me up. Make it seem like I'd slept for a solid 8 hours. Make me feel alive again. She has that gift.

I can't do this very often. The stars must align, just so. Neomom must be on dayshift. So that I won't get caught skulking the streets as she patrols, looking for skulkers. I can't go any later than 4:30 a.m. The boys can wake up as early as 5 a.m. I must not get caught leaving, or returning.

The streets were empty as I cruised along Crescent Road, beside the lake. Not a soul around. No one to witness my secret journey.

I drove up to the checkpoint and rolled down my window.

"Good Morning," she said. "How can I help you?"

I smiled. Warmth and joy was only 20 feet away. 

"Extra large, two creams," I answered.

With my Timmy's in hand, I drove back along the lake, all by myself, no kids, no complaining, all the way home. The Northern Lights were brighter, the air a little less crisp as I snuck the manly mini-van back into the garage. 

Nice way to start a week. Have a great Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Although I could never see myself getting up at that time on purpose, what you describe sounds beautiful...mystical even. I took the journey in my mind... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! Hard to explain why I enjoy it so much. But I do!

    ReplyDelete