Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I Need a Bench Rest (I think)


Sweet freakin' relief. 

I finally got iChat working between my computer and my mother's new computer. I can now chat with my mom on line and she can see her grandchildren through video chat. And, more importantly, I can take over her computer when I need to fix something, or show her how to do something, or do something for her.

Sorry, but this was driving me nuts. I didn't realize how difficult it might be for two people who speak the same language, to speak the same language. But I'm learning, more and more, that for every new hobby, task or adventure, there is another English language.

While I'm looking at a very similar computer screen as my mother, she is trying to describe what she sees. I'm trying to understand. I'm giving commands in a language she is not entirely familiar with, and she's trying to understand. Throw in a password typed incorrectly, or an error in the email account and we're both looking for a bottle.

The same applies to my new bread baking hobby. Got an email from a fellow bread enthusiast from that website I've previously mentioned, The Fresh Loaf. I had asked a question about what "proofing" means exactly. I know it has something to do with the bread rising, but I wasn't sure if it meant the first rise, the second rise, or another rise I didn't know about.

And excerpt from that email:

"Then there is autolyse, sponge, soaker, poolish, biga, retard/retarded/cold
retard, bench rest, preferment, levain/sourdough, chef/motherdough, old
dough/altus."


I'm not sure, but I think she's coming on to me.

But you see what I mean? I know that a sponge soaks up water and you wash the floor with it. I know a soaker is something I used to get on the way to school when I stepped in the creek. I'm sure that's not what my new friend is talking about. I have a new language to learn. No idea what poolish means, yet. 

But one step at a time. For now, I'm celebrating my major computer victory. I can now explain myself while showing my mom exactly what I'm talking about. And I can see exactly what she's looking at. This is awesome!

I just wish that there was a similar remote bread-baking system, where one of my more knowledgeable new friends could look over my shoulder, knead the bread a little more if necessary, toss in a little extra flour when needed and make sure my poolish has the appropriate sponge soaker for the bench rest. If not, I guess I'll just make it biga.

So much to learn.

Anyhoo, it's early in the a.m. and I've had another relatively sleepless night, thanks to something that has invaded Sonwun's ear. Spent three hours at the hospital last night and woke up every four hours since for medication. Maybe I'll tell you all about that one tomorrow.

As for today, Neomom's headed for Thompson and I don't see Sonwun heading for school. Gonna be a long one.

Have a great Tuesday. And remember, the yeasts are most active during the bulk rise. Keep your mouse on the pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment