Saturday, February 18, 2012

Tweet


The knives are out of place. The dishwasher's loaded wrong. I slept on a sliver of the bed last night, pushed out by another body and too many pillows.

Yup, Neomom's home! Wouldn't have it any other way.

So I feel pretty good this morning. Even though I really didn't sleep all that well. But the head cold is gone. Well, apparently not gone. It has shifted to Sonwun's nose this morning. He woke up sniffling and coughing. Crap! It's supposed to be a nice day today and it would have been great to go for a nice walk up the creek. 

My cold has kept us in the house all week. And now, with Neomom home, I was really hoping to break out. Well, we'll have to see how it goes.

Why can't we all just get sick at once. Then we can all lie on the couch, sniffle, complain . . . and rest . . . together.

Ah well.

So this morning at about 3 o'clock I was pondering social media. The trigger was a meaningless post I left on Facebook last night. It was a line from The Princess Bride: "Hello! My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Honestly, I'm not even sure why I posted it. I guess I liked the movie and thought it was kinda funny. But, to my surprise, a bunch of people responded to it. Didn't realize the movie was that popular.

What struck me was one line, also from the movie, posted by a fellow SAHD from Illinois: "No more ryhming now, I mean it!"

And then a Mom friend, from here in Portage, responded with the next line from the movie: "anybody want a peanut."

I just kinda thought it was cool. Two people who don't know each other, have had no contact of any kind, sharing a laugh over a movie they'd both seen and enjoyed.

And I guess I find it kinda cool because this kind of thing just didn't happen when I was younger. The world was so much smaller.

And, like it or not, this is the world in which my kids will grow up. So I must do my best to stay on top of this stuff - to the best of my ability. I admit, I do not own a smartphone. I do, however, have an iPod with WiFi. Kind of a smartphone lite.

So I've got some of this stuff figured out. But I was recently reminded that I opened a Twitter account a while back. Had forgotten about it. But somebody started "following" me, so I got an email notification. 

I'll be honest. I don't "get" Twitter. Pretty sure I don't know how to use it correctly. But I see some of my younger "friends" on FB (that's how we say Facebook, apparently) who are using it. 

But with FB, and texts, smartphones and all that stuff, where does Twitter fit in? What's the attraction? What's the catch? Is it just so that we can all see what the celebrities are thinking in the morning when they wake up and get a coffee? Or is it just that we are able to tell all of our "followers" that we had a peachy day today, all at once. 

If any of you twitterers want to explain it to me, please feel free. I guess I'm just not one of those guys that can express himself in 140 words or less. Which is why I do the blog thing.

Anyhoo, it's the weekend. Enjoy! I plan to. (Maybe I should Tweet that last line!)

No comments:

Post a Comment