Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I blew it


Okay, it's official. I blew it.

My 90 blogs in 90 days took a dump at Day 36. Bummer. Really thought I'd pull it off. And you know what else? I bought a loaf of bread for the first time this year. Didn't make my own. Wow, big failures all around.

Oh well. It's Tuesday. And I have a new culinary quest: fish and chips. We bought some halibut recently and last night tried a batter recipe that, well, didn't cut it. I mean, I love fish and chips . . . if done correctly. I don't think I'm alone in this, but "when I was growing up, there was this place . . ." near our house. Mr. Chips and his Fish, I think it was. Maybe it was Mr. Fish and his Chips. Whatever. They had a giant deep fryer that ran full-tilt on Friday nights. They wrapped the product in newspaper and it was a treat every time we had it.

I want to find a way to recreate that. It's not easy. Those countertop deep fryers you can buy just don't hold the heat. And the amount of oil needed in a stove-top pot makes things too expensive to be worth it on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, I have not located any quality fish and chips here in Portage La Praire. Most places have it on the menu, but I haven't found one I love. Maybe I need to open a take-out place. But first I need a good batter recipe.

If any of you are fans of fish and chips, and cook your own, and have a great recipe, please share. Would love to try it.

Other than that, not much to tell you. I will attempt to continue here and do 89 blog posts in 90 days, or 90 in 91. We'll see. The key is the morning. Must do it in the morning. Lacking motivation and inspiration later in the day. 

Have a great Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Don't sweat it Mike. Missing one day at the gym doesn't negate the other 5 weeks you went. You just go back the next day ; ) Enjoying your posts!

    ReplyDelete