Monday, February 20, 2012

The Real Riel


Well, Happy Monday. Or, if you live in Manitoba, Happy Louis Riel Day, I guess.

This has me a little confused. Cause I remember, in Grade 7 or 8, I had to write an essay on Riel and the Red River Rebellion. I got a history book or two from the library and I read them. And then I wrote my essay concluding, based on the books, that the man was an insane traitor who was quite rightly executed for his crimes.

And yet here we are today, celebrating Riel's day and his role as one of Manitoba's Fathers of Confederation. Today, in Manitoba, in some circles anyway, he's a hero.

So what's changed? Is it just geography? Are we still teaching he was an insane traitor in Ontario? Is it politics? I mean, he was Metis and this is Manitoba. Has history itself changed?

I don't know. But I do know it makes me a little uncomfortable. Especially when Sonwun comes home telling me he has the day off school because it's Louis Riel Day. I have to wonder what they're gonna teach HIM at school. Glorious hero or insane traitor? 

Or is there a middle ground? Let's be honest, there's a pretty big gap between the ideals. How could my Grade 8 history books have been so very wrong? Or how screwed up is Manitoba?

I'm no historian. I acknowledge that. I honestly don't care enough to do much research on the topic. I just find it fascinating. I know that "they" say the winners write the history books. Is that what this is about?

Bah. Too much thinking for so early in the morning. Why didn't Manitoba follow suit when everyone decided that February needed a holiday. I mean, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta all agreed to call it Family Day. I like that. I think we can all get behind it and find a way to celebrate it accordingly. 

In Manitoba, especially considering my Ontario education, I have no idea how to celebrate this day. Must be how Muslims feel at Christmas.

So I'll follow the PC route and just say, Happy Holiday!

And Happy Monday!

11 comments:

  1. I think Riel as hero vs. traitor debate has been going on since the man was executed. In Manitoba he's always been a little more on the heralded side. I did an essay on him in Grade 9 or 10 and I'm pretty sure I came down on the side of hero! However, he was a little nutso and did some crazy things. Pretty sure he's always been a hero in the Metis history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys must have had different text books out here. Still not sure where I am on it. But I did a little more reading this morning and there's certainly some evidence of mental issues. Strange guy.

      Delete
    2. And he did execute (or murder, depending on your perspective) that guy. Just sayin.

      Delete
    3. Thomas Scott! That's his name! He was an asshole. lol. Probably had it coming...

      Delete
    4. LOL - Thomas Scott - the oppressor of minorities!

      Delete
    5. And LOL, Riel, the wackadoodle Metis who thought he was Jewish. We just should have gone with Family Day.

      Delete
    6. Either way, I'm happy with a February long weekend!

      Delete
  2. Funny how "history" changes from place to place! Over here we learn about the evil land surveyors who came to force the Aboriginal and Metis people off their land and Louis Riel who rallied people together to stop them, ensure education and language rights, and make Manitoba a province (with provincial rights) instead of just a territory. Isn't he referred to as a the Father of Manitoba or something too?

    But yeah, pretty sure he was crazy, or crazier as time went on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuff I read at the Manitoba History Society web page certainly suggests he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic well before this happened.

      Delete