Saturday, July 11, 2009

Well good morning all!


It's another chilly morning in the great white north and we've survived our first week in Thompson.


Sonwun and Sontoo are adjusting to the new home - Sonwun enjoying the carpeted stairs like a toboggan run, and Sontoo loving the mirrored closet doors and the little man reflected in them.


Today is my first day back as SAHD, as mommy's off to work for a 12-hour shift today. Time to establish, or re-establish the routines that have been left behind in the packing, loading, moving, unpacking, unloading festival that has been our life for the past week or so. While most of our stuff has found a new home in our new home, there are still a few things out of place, a few pictures to hang and a little readjusting of furniture to be done.


Today, Sonwun and Sontoo are very active and I'm anxious to get them outside. It's still a little chilly here, but should warm up in an hour or two.


I have an anxious feeling today, probably because there is still an outstanding issue with the house in Gimli, due to problems created by the CRSP. To make a long story as short as possible, the CRSP failed to get an appraisal of the property in Gimli before we moved. As a result, I must now get permission from the new owners for an appraiser to visit. That should not be a major problem.


Once the appraiser is in, however, he will decide what the house and one acre is worth. The IRP will pay for the real estate commission on that portion of the sale price. We will have to pay the commission on the other 119 acres. I'm bothered because, in the past, appraisers were a little inaccurate, in my opinion. If he comes up short, it means I will have to pay more than I should.


I have offered the IRP administrators a 90/10 split, with 90 per cent of the sale price representing the house and 10 the land. Based on discussions with my real estate agent at the time of sale, and on the selling price of the home, it's a fair split.


They would rather take the more difficult route and pay an appraiser, after the fact, to make this determination. I just disagree with the idea that whatever he decides the house is worth will be subtracted from the sale price and I'll have to eat the rest. I think the entire property needs to be considered and then a reasonable split needs to be determined. End of story.


But no. We're dealing with RCMP policy, which bureaucrats hide behind like a fortress. Sure, it might cost taxpayers more, but that's what policy says.


But I digress.


Sonwun is now outside playing in his new sandbox, and Sontoo is watching Bob the Builder. There is much work to be done, hanging towel bars, clearing up the basement, dishes, laundry and all that fun stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment