Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Down to the Wire

Today is the last full day at the house that has been our home for about six years now. Tomorrow, the packers come to put all of our earthly goods into boxes. Friday, they go on the truck and on Saturday we hit the road for Thompson.


I will miss this house and this town. Yeah, the yard is huge and is a lot to maintain. But the solitude, the silence at night will be missed.


But I know Sonwun is ready, and needs to be closer to more folks his own age. During the House Hunting Trip a few weeks back, we stopped at one of the local playgrounds after supper. There were quite a few kids there and Sonwun was absolutely drunk with excitement. He played hard and long, you could just see him soaking up the opportunity to laugh with, run from, chase other children. It's one of the perks that come with living in town as opposed to out in the country. I didn't realize how much he needed that until I watched him that day. He is still talking about it.


And while I want him to have that opportunity, I am a little leery. Thompson can be a bit scary, especially if you don't know the city. There is more than the average amount of gang activity, there are a lot of homeless people, there are a lot of intoxicated people. It's not the neighbourhood, or city, that I grew up in.


When I was lining up insurance for the new house, the broker asked me if I had a monitored alarm system in the house. I said no. She "highly recommended" I get one due to the gang activity in the city. At this house, we rarely lock the doors.


Anyway, I am pondering many of these things in the final days here. I suppose that is why I haven't slept properly for about a month now. It's been a long haul and we are very, very anxious to get it done.


I am looking forward to the convenience of living in a larger town. Two minutes to the grocery store, the Tim Horton's and the video store. Paved roads for the stroller and bicycle. A playground nearby, and, hopefully, kids on the street where we live for Sonwun and Sontoo to enjoy.


We're down to the wire and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment