Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Food Critics


So now that the kitchen is pretty much in order, I am starting to feel creative again. And so, with that in mind, I set about creating something new for the boys for supper last night. No recipes, no guides, just combining stuff I figured would result in a delicious main course.


I browned some Italian sausage meat. I sauteed some diced onion and pepper. I mixed in some nice tomato sauce. I added a pinch of this and a dash of that. I made rice in beef bouillon and served the meat and veg concoction on top. I thought it was great.


My young charges, however, disagreed.


At first, Sonwun liked it. Then he didn't. Then mom came home and he liked it again. He was encouraged to finish his supper with an ice cream dessert incentive. A few minutes later he declared that he didn't want any ice cream.


Sontoo sat in his high chair and, after a few bites, began flicking my delicacy on to the floor. He pushed what was left on his plate around, patted it down with his sippy cup and then flicked some more at the dog. Thankfully, at least the dog didn't turn up her nose. She ate it and liked it.


In an effort to provide some nutrition, I gave Sontoo a piece of bread and butter, which he devoured. And then he returned to the flicking game.


After supper, I cleaned up the little one, the floor and the dog, in that order. And when I was done, I cleaned up the kitchen. In the meantime, Sonwun had fed the dog and Sontoo, in his final insult to my culinary creativity, helped himself. He had four pieces of the crunchy dogfood in his mouth when I caught up with him.


So I guess, tonight, it's beans and toast. They both will eat it.


As for today, I've already been up on the roof cleaning the eavestroughs. They need to be replaced, which I knew when we bought this place. The do-it-yourselfer who installed the cheap plastic crap didn't even do it correctly. There is no slope and he used enough caulking (at least I think it's caulking) to effectively block water at every joint. He should not have done it himself.


More rain in the forecast for today and the next few days. We'll see if the cleaning was enough to get by for a bit. If not, it's gonna be a busy time in the next week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment