Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bad Day for Crows

Well, we're into about Day 6 of rain, rain and more rain. So we're kinda stuck inside yet again.


Yesterday we had a little excitement at breakfast. Mom had gone to work and the boys and I were finishing up when we heard what sounded like a shotgun blast in the backyard. It's a small backyard, so it was a tad disconcerting.


And then the lights went out.


I quickly looked out the back door in the direction of the sound and saw that the transformer on the pole in our backyard had exploded a little. The breaker was hanging down and swaying in the wind. Hmmm.


I called Manitoba Hydro to report this event and they said they'd send someone right over. I was interested, I'll admit, to see what "right over" means in Thompson. I was pleasantly surprised when it only took 20 minutes.


So, much to the delight of Sonwun and Sontoo, a guy dressed in bright overalls, carrying a long pole, entered the backyard to inspect. He saw something that I missed. With the long pole, he reached up and knocked one very dead crow off the transformer. It was well done, but at least it had stopped smoking.


Took about 20 minutes to repair and replace the breaker, during which time three other guys in bright overalls entered the backyard. When the lights went back on, both Sonwun and Sontoo stood in the doorway applauding, much to the delight of the hydro workers.


Anyway, wish there was more to tell you, but we're not getting out much due to the lovely weather. And, to make matters worse, I've decided that the TV is on too much during the day. And thus, I have instituted and house-wide blackout on the boob tube. This is designed to encourage the boys to play together and foster their imaginations. It is also driving daddy just a little nuts. But I think it's the right move.


We are still awaiting Sontoo's foray into the English language. He's taking a little longer than David did, which I hear is normal for the second child. Nevertheless, we're working on him.


So far, he can do the mama, dada thing and has added nana (banana) to his lexicon. Everything else is "aday." We're not sure where that came from or what it is supposed to mean, but he uses it for the dog, the cat, juice, pancakes, chairs and nuclear fission.


Anyway, just heard a loud thump from upstairs, so I must run. Hearing more of those these days. Hmmm . . . maybe if I turn on the TV. . . just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment