Monday, July 27, 2009

A Light in the Darkness


So it's been just shy of three weeks in the Hub of the North. And overall, I gotta tell you, it hasn't been great.


I have been disappointed at just about every turn. Take the kids to the playground: find it covered in broken beer and sherry bottles. Found a nicer one today, less glass, more graffiti and some minor drug paraphernalia.


Go to Canadian Tire to buy a lawnmower: find the worst collection of disinterested, lazy and, well, I'll say it, stupid people in red shirts that I have ever encountered. Fifteen or so of them wandering the cramped aisles with vacant looks on their faces, desperately trying to avoid eye contact and a possible question about merchandise, and one of them trying to keep up with the six people in line at the cash register.


Go to Walmart. And those of you who know me, know how it pains me to say that. But I did, because I still needed a lawnmower. And there, I found the folks that were rejected for employment at Canadian Tire.


Went to a Chinese restaurant - and I don't mean to insult all restaurants when I use that word in reference to this place. Worst I have ever been to - Wong's. If you ever get to Thompson, avoid it. Just bad. Not much else to say. Okay, I'll say a little more. It's pretty hard to screw up sweet and sour chicken balls. At least I used to think so.


Been to Tim Horton's a couple of times. If you go at 5 a.m., you can get your coffee fairly quickly. Go at other times and you're gridlocked at the drive-through. Don't bother going inside.


But there have also been a couple of bright spots . . . yeah, two that I can think of. Went to the Staples in town. Was greeted when I walked in by a clean, friendly, intelligent person. Didn't have to wander the aisles endlessly looking for help. It was there, it was offered and it was good. I think I'll be going there, just to hang out on rainy days.


And then there was last night. Finally decided to check out the Riverview Restaurant just outside of town. Before leaving, I looked for a review on line. Found one. Guy said it was the best restaurant in Thompson. I've been to several restaurants in Thompson and I'll tell you the competition is not fierce. But we had a few RCMP recommendations as well, so what the heck? Couldn't be much worse than Wong's.


The outside, I'll tell you, didn't look like much - kind of like a converted house on the banks of the Burntwood River. The obligatory mural painted on the outside. But inside, once you get past the reception area, was cozy, warm and clean. The waitress was smiling, friendly and even offered suggestions from the rather extensive menu.


And the food was fantastic, by any standard. We didn't even scratch the menu's surface, ordering the pan-fried dumplings to start (fantastic!), followed by sweet and sour sesame chicken, barbecued pork lo mein noodles and kung pao beef. All of it was awesome and I have eaten at some nice Chinese food places in Niagara and Toronto.


I can't wait to get back and try more of the vast selection which, by the way, includes a full page of sushi selections.


So yes, there is some light in the darkness, some sweet in the sour and some flavour in the Thompson food.



No comments:

Post a Comment