Friday, October 4, 2013

Questions

So . . . October 4 and the Unicef envelope came home today.

Hmmm. What's the lesson here? We need to help those in need? We need to do what we're told? We need to bow to peer pressure?

I wanna be a good parent, I really do. And I think that means teaching my kids to ask questions. To understand what they're doing. 

When I was a kid, they handed out the Unicef boxes and we were supposed to take them around on Halloween and collect pennies. At the time, my understanding was that the money would go to little black kids in Africa. Forgive me if that sounds offensive. It's not meant to be. It was just my understanding as a child, based on the pictures we were shown. 

I didn't know how the money would help, how much of it went to administration and advertising, versus actual aid to those in the pictures. I didn't even know to ask the questions.

And now, in the package my son brought home, there is just a sign up sheet. Donate please . . . receipts will be issued for donations over $25. They ain't looking for pennies any more. 

I asked him what he was supposed to do with it. He said WE, his family, were supposed to pony up some dough. I hope he's wrong. 

I asked him what it was for. He told me it was for the people in Africa.

Sigh. 

I swear I'm gonna change the name of this blog to Cynical Old Grump. I know there are those who think it would be appropriate.

What am I teaching my son here if I just throw in some cash? What am I teaching him if I say no? I'll be honest. I lean toward saying no. Just because I do not like ANY organization to be endorsed by a school board, and then allowed to obligate my child to raise money for it. Without telling me why. We are all just supposed to follow the leader, be a good flock member, and throw in some cash.

Is there ANY due diligence taking place? Do we know exactly how much money is going where? My son does not. He does not know how much is being used to pay salaries of folks right here in North America. He doesn't know how much is being spent to advertise all the wonderful things Unicef does.

Maybe I just ask too many questions. 


Then again, maybe that's not a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment