Monday, October 7, 2013

Blogtober the 6th



Good Day and welcome to Day 6, Blogtober, 2013.

The good news is that I'm not camping. It's cold out there. 

Anyhoo, I'm sitting her at the computer, once again listening nervously to the noises in the house. It's 7:30 a.m. and the sounds coming from the kitchen. I'm trying to ignore them. I can't.

There are bowls banging, drawers opening, chairs sliding. It's Sonwun.

I'm proud of him. He's always poking around when I'm cooking stuff, asking why I'm doing what I'm doing. Asking to help. I try to accommodate whenever I can.

It started a few years back, when he demanded to pour his own breakfast cereal. That was okay for a while, and then he needed to add the milk as well. Yeah, a few major spills later, and he was climbing on to the counter to get bowls, for both he and Sontoo, filling them, adding milk and grabbing spoons. I began to understand why I had children.

And now, as I sit here, he's making pancakes. 

He's been making the batter now for about a year. He does it from scratch and he does it from memory. No recipe cards, no mixes. Cool eh?

And, this morning, he's gonna cook them, in the frying pan, on the stove, all by himself, for the first time. And I get to sit here and play on the computer. And think about where I put that fire extinguisher.

I love that he has, at least, an interest in cooking. He comes by it honestly as my brothers and I all love to mix stuff up, bake it, grill it, smoke it, sauté it and whatever else we can imagine. Comes from our mom, who is still doling out recipes and advice when I find myself in need.


Hot breakfast, cooked by someone else. Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment