Monday, January 25, 2010

Tummy Trouble

So, rough day yesterday.

And it started so optimistically. Got a decent night's sleep, blog completed before anyone else woke up, good attitude.

In spite of the forecast of "flurries" overnight and into Sunday, I awoke Sunday morning to a good four or five inches on the ground and plenty falling. This continued and the forecast was modified to include a snowfall warning. Hmm. A little off there boys. Enjoy that job!

Anyhoo, the snow didn't bother me as I had no plans at all to leave the house. Neomom was working and the boys and I were quite happy to hunker down for some Mario Kart, a little laundry, a little cleaning . . . a typical kinda day, plus Mario Kart.

Just before breakfast, however, Sontoo projectile vomited all over the kitchen, himself and me. No biggie. My optimism was alive. At least he didn't hit the carpet, or one of the couches, chairs or dog. Easy clean-up and it gets me started on the laundry early. See? A silver lining on the cloud of puke.

I'm watching Sontoo from here on. He seems happy, no fever, good appetite at breakfast. Must have been the milk he had earlier. Didn't agree with him.

So, he's playing in the living room about half an hour after breakfast and . . . FIRE TWO! This one got his favourite blankets, an area rug and his fresh pajamas. In the process of pajama removal, it also got his hair pretty good.

Okay, the area rug is machine washable, as are his clothes. At least he didn't get the furniture.

Got that one cleaned up, Sontoo got a bath and then it was just all smiles and sunshine until lunch. Oh, I mean smiles, sunshine and diarrhea. He's now fillin' diapers like sandbags in New Orleans before Katrina.


So, my shirt smells like puke, there's the aroma of poop everywhere, my fingers have that Desitin stuff smell (to ward off related diaper rash) . . . but hey, it's almost lunchtime.

Sontoo turned up his nose at the Kraft Dinner. Usually loves the stuff and I figured it was important to get some food in him. Fair enough, the most critical element is drinking and he did put away a fair bit of liquid.

After lunch and another diaper change he settled in for his nap and made it through until 3:30 without another gastronomical eruption.

Again, happy, smiling, no fever when he got up. More juice. And then Round 3. The living room chair took a small hit, and his favourite blankets were mortally wounded. When I got him out of the chair, he did his impression of a moving lawn sprinkler, walking five steps, puking, five more, more puke: covering the maximum amount of floor space.

(Now this is where Sonwun nearly lost his life. As I am scrambling to minimize damage and maximize paper towel use, he has the nerve to say "Daddy, you're in the way. I can't see Mario Kart! Relax, he's still alive.)

Anyway, to wind up this long story and make it a little shorter, we made it through supper and bedtime. But after about 2 hours in bed, the poor little sucker woke up and created a pool in his bed and destroyed about five books with Volley Number 4.

As I write this at 5:20 a.m., I can now hear him in the baby monitor calling for me. A new day begins. (Pause to fetch Sontoo).

Wow, a dry diaper and he's now sitting in the living room chair (which is covered by a blanket) downing his first juice of the day. Here's hoping it comes out where it's supposed to. Wish me luck.

Have a great Monday!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry - my least favorite days are puke days! I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been lucky, our little one hasn't had much in the way of projectile vomiting or sickness. However, my now 13-year-old son once did a great imitation of a fertilizer spreader out of his diaper after we fed him too much spaghetti. He just kept walking as he did his thing. Good times!

    ReplyDelete