Sunday, January 24, 2010

A trip around the Weird

So . . . 5 a.m. The house sleeps on.

This morning, I played one of my favourite games, "Next Blog."

It involves that button at the top of your screen by the same name. It opens a portal to new worlds, new minds, new philosophies, new lives. And it seems infinite.

Don't know if you've ever hit that button before or not. But if you haven't, and you have a little time on your hands, I dare you.

This morning, I took a short trip through the life of a man cycling through India. I read several accounts of "why men suck" by women with relationship issues. I was treated to the works of a number of excellent photographers. I learned a little bit about why some people feel the need to cut themselves with razors.

As I said, the list is endless and every time you push the Next Blog button, a new world awaits. Some I can relate to, some I can't even begin to imagine.

Let's go there now.

Next Blog: Written by a 22-year-old Malaysian male. It's called Lucky Strike 14. Not sure why. Today's entry is about the New Year, the Chinese New Year and beginning the Year of Tiger. (Last year was apparently the Year of Ox.) The writer contemplates his graduation from University in a year or two and his entrance to the working world. He concludes with the thought that it's best to enjoy and live in the present. Good friends = good times. Why mess with it?

"My dream is simple. I hope no matter what path we are heading to, our friendship bond will always be there. Stay connected. If possible, invite me to your wedding Malaysian=). Friendship forever ya~!!!"

Next Blog: Brat Princess. Again, not sure why. A quick scan tells me it's about, well, a brat princess. Make-up tips, look what I bought, gold is good. Let's move on.

Next Blog: The Thornocks - a family name for a family blog. It's written by mom and this entry is about daughter Ryleigh's 3rd birthday, complete with pictures. Cute kid, cute family, cute blog. I can relate as the stay-at-home parent. I read it through and even check a few back issues.

Next Blog: Hello! Okay, this is a first. Came across some "naughty" pictures, complete with someone's description of their sexual exploits in a sort of poetic voice; and not great writing. Not particularly interested, moving on . . . in a minute, hang on. Moving . . . on . . . right . . . now . . . that's not how you spell THAT . . . poor grammar . . . and that's just not possible . . . okay, seriously, moving on.

Next Blog: A tribute to Michael Jackson by Xin Hong. Not particularly interested, moving on.

Anyway, you get the idea. Next time you're bored and want to read a little "slice of life" from a variety of perspectives, give it a try. You might be amused, you might get bored, you might find inspiration, you might find a lot of spelling errors. But odds are good you're going to learn something. And that makes the trip worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment