Saturday, January 23, 2010

The new phone's here, the new phone's here!

So . . . bought a new phone this week. Why? Because the battery died in the old one, that was about a year-and-a-half old.

I hate phones today. Pretty sure growing up we had the same damn pea green rotary phone for about 20 years. Until, that is, the technology began to "improve." Push button phones (a miracle), and then phones you could unplug from the wall and move to another room. And then the miracle of cordless phones.

And, as with any technology, once it gets rolling, those that make the damn things build in the obsolescence from the word go. I mean, if you make it to last, people don't buy more of them, right?

I'm sure part of the reason is where I live. But every time I go looking for a replacement for one of these damned phone batteries, I spend more in gas looking for one than I would just buying a new freakin' phone.

And if I am lucky enough to stumble upon the correct replacement, the TWO that I need cost almost as much as a new phone. Factor in the gas . . .

So, last time I bought, 5.8 GHz was the best available. It was the latest technology offering improved range, better sound quality, blah, blah, blah over the previous 2.4 GHz or whatever.

And this time, it's DECT 6.0 that's gonna rock my telephone world and keep my conversations safe from prying phone hackers. Woo fuckin' hoo. I'll sleep better tonight.

But this time at least, I found one with regular size batteries. Nickel metal hydride rechargeables in the AAA format. So, when they crap out, I should be able to find a replacement, even in Thompson, Manitoba. If not, I'm sure I can find someone to mail me some or I'll be buying them on line.

Anyhoo, that means I must now program my phone numbers into the receivers (oh, and with the DECT 6.0 technology, I only have to program one and both receivers share the phonebook. Again I say, woo fuckin' hoo).

So, that's my excitement for the last few days. And the best part of it all is that I used my credit card points for the phone. Hurray for me.

Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment