Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sharing, Taking Turns

Well, isn't Playgroup the gift that keeps on giving.


On Wednesday, Playgroup gave Sontoo a fat lip. I think I mentioned that. He was climbing the stairs on the little slide, slipped and smashed his little mouth on the steps.


Apparently angry over the incident and his newly acquired facial feature, he head-butted me that evening, right in the mouth. So now I've got a fat lip. What is with kids at 18 months? Why must they head-butt everyone and everything? And why the sucker punch aspect? You're holding this darling blue-eyed child, he's smiling, you're smiling . . . and then WHACK!


I'm getting better at seeing them coming, but he still gets one through once in a while and this last one was a doozy!


But back to Playgroup.


On Friday, at Playgroup, Sonwun was running up the slide (even though I'd told him not to) and, because he was wearing socks, he slipped and did a face-plant into the side of said slide. Fat lip number three.


So at least we all match. And I'm working on responses for anyone who dares to ask what the hell happened.


"Yeah, well you should see the other toddler, preschooler and stay-at-home dad. We messed 'em up real good."


Or perhaps:


"Well, if you don't get them into mixed martial arts early, they'll never make the UFC."


"Rodeo Clown Preschool ain't for sissies."


Or if I'm really grumpy and am sensing an "attitude" from the person asking:


"Doctor's waiting for lab results . . . Hey, who's up for a play-date?"


But back to Playgroup.


One of the main reasons for attending is social development. Your child learns to take turns, to cooperate and to share. He learns to be part of a community. And now, we've learned that at least one of the 50 kids in the Playgroup community Friday was sick. And this child, or children, was kind enough to share his or her disease with Sonwun.


And that, my friends, is the reason I've enjoyed three hours sleep. It's now 5:39 a.m. and I don't see much sleep in my future. Sonwun has been fighting an almost croup-like cough, sore throat and runny nose on and off throughout the night. We spent half an hour in the bathroom, hot shower running and that seems to have calmed things for now. And even though he is not yet a fan of sharing with his younger brother, I know Sonwun will be sharing this little gift with Sontoo. Who knows? I may even get to share.


But we'll survive. So far it just looks like a cold. No fever, pretty good attitude and appetite. Hopefully, they'll both be over it in a few days. If not, I haven't decided whether we'll return the favour, bring something to Playgroup to "share", and let some other children and parents "take a turn" at a few sleepless nights. After all, isn't that what playgroup's all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment