Thursday, September 24, 2009

Laughter: The Best Defence

Laughter may be the best medicine but, as Sonwun is learning, it's also a pretty good defence.


In the last few weeks, the elder child has discovered there are several ways to make Sontoo, the younger, laugh. The first, and most obvious tactic, is tickling his feet. The risk involved in this maneuver, however, is that accessing his younger sibling's foot can result in his falling over on his head, thus defeating the defensive advantage.


Why, oh why, you're asking, would this be considered a defensive advantage?


Well, if you're asking, you never had a little brother of your own. (And right now, in my head, I hear my own younger brother's voice, "Word!")


So . . . a little background.


Sontoo, in Sonwun's mind, is not just a little brother, although that is what he will call him for ceremonial purposes and to earn parental points. But the fact is, Sontoo is more of a toy than anything else. It makes noises when you push its buttons, it moves, it gets back up when you push it over and it runs from you when you chase it. It also runs after you when you call it, comes with its own line of accessories for you to play with and it copies things that you do. ("True Dat.")


Now, the problem for Sonwun is that playing with this toy comes with the inherent risk of getting in trouble. This is especially true when you're teasing it or pushing it over. The noises it makes will often result in the sound of Daddy's footsteps on the stairs and that can spell serious trouble.


I don't think Sontoo has put that formula together in his head just yet, so when I hear squawking from another room, I'm pretty sure it's for real. But I could be wrong and he could just be playing me to get his elder brother into hot water. ("Hehehehehe.")


In any case, Sonwun has learned that you can turn off the "bad" noises the toy is making by tickling its feet. And, if you do it quick enough, you won't necessarily hear Daddy storming up the stairs or, at worst, the noises will have stopped by the time Dad arrives.


I have caught Sonwun doing this several times now. By the time I make it to the top of the stairs, Sontoo is laughing hysterically as Sonwun tickles his feet with an innocent "is there a problem?" look on his face.


"I'm making my little brother laugh," he proudly tells me, hoping I have forgotten that four seconds ago, his little brother was screaming like someone, and I'm not pointing fingers, had hit him in the head with a plastic duck.


Now, to be fair, there are times when Sonwun will actually make Sontoo laugh, just to make him laugh. This is more often accomplished by making certain strange noises, which I can't even begin to spell, that will have Sontoo in stitches.


And that is a sound I love. Yesterday, for example, while folding laundry upstairs, I could hear the two of them downstairs; Sonwun making that noise and Sontoo laughing his head off, for about half an hour straight. ("I don't remember YOU ever doing that.")


Anyway, that is the nature of brothers, I suppose. They will taunt, torment and abuse one another for years to come. ("Tell them about the time you threatened to take my dog 'swimming' in the Niagara River.")


Okay bro, get out of my head already, I'm trying to tell a story.


There will also come a time when Sontoo will learn to defend himself and the spats will grow larger. I still remember a right hook delivered, by my younger brother, to my chin in the living room following a particularly nasty teasing session. Woke me up a little. ("Hehehehehe.")


The good news is that somewhere down the line, I know they will learn to value each other the way I do my brothers and sisters. Part of that, I suppose is the fact that we live thousands of miles from one another and when we get together, it's always a celebration.


And, in spite of the abuse I heaped upon my younger brother over the years, he has, for the most part, forgiven me and is one of the most important people in my life. So much so, in fact, that he is Sonwun's namesake. And Sonwun will make me very proud if he grows up to be as good a man as my younger brother.


("Stop it, I'm gettin' all misty.")


Wow, even at this age, tickling his feet still works!


("Heads up buddy, here comes the right again.")

No comments:

Post a Comment