Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Number 6

Well, Sonwun has glitter in his ears and Sontoo has a fat lip. We're back from our first visit to playgroup in Thompson.


Found out earlier this week that they meet twice a week at the local rec centre (that's how we spell it up here, leave it alone). Cost per session is $2 per family and it runs from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.


As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am a little leery about these things. Communal toys are disease magnets, some parents unleash their hounds and then ignore them for two hours and, of course, it's mostly about mommies and their kids. Daddies, or daddy, can sit in the corner.


Well, I gotta tell you I was pleasantly surprised. First and foremost, there was limited structure. And that, in my opinion, is a great thing. Unlike other playgroups I have endured, this one does not have "circle time;" a torturous exercise in which parents attempt to coral the squirming young ones and make them sit still while the parents mumble their way through childhood songs, led by an overly cheerful, apparently well-medicated keener mom.


And, god bless these Thompson folk, there are no themes each month. It is not "Alphabet Month," or "Nursery Rhyme Month," or any of that stupidity about which none of the young attendees could give a rat's ass.


No, in Thompson, playgroup is exactly what I believe it should be; a chance to get the kids to a new location, with new toys, new children to meet and let them (anyone?) PLAY! Let them run like the wind, burn off the sugar, make some friends and be ready for a nice long nap when they get home. That's what playgroup means to me.


It is a big room with plenty of toys, a nice cushy story area, gym mats under the slide, a toddler area with toddler type toys, cars for the older kids and a small crafting area manned (womanned) by a very patient mom who spends the whole time helping young artisans develop their style.


Sonwun's style, of course, is still a quest to see how much glue and sparkles can be squeezed and shaken from the various containers on the table. That is until he finds the scissors, and then we add his impression of a paper shredder to the mix.


I'm told that, on Friday, the craft table disappears and most of the toys are replaced by those inflatable bouncy houses. That should be interesting.


Anyway, Sonwun's crafting experience will have me finding glitter around the house for at least three days, and Sontoo's lip, which he smacked while trying to climb up the slide ladder, will heal. The mom's were nice enough, friendly and helpful. All in all, a good time.


What can I say? I've found another thing to like about Thompson. I think I'm up to six now.

1 comment: