Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Preschool Reject

I guess it's part of being the new kid in town. Don't know anyone, and no one knows me.


I think that is part of the reason I can't get Sonwun into preschool, just yet.


Two weeks ago, I called the Kiddies Northern Preschool here in Thompson. Got no answer several times, so I left a message expressing my interest in having Sonwun attend. And then I waited. And waited. And waited.


Yesterday, four hours after preschool started, I finally got the call. Sorry, no room left.


Now I could be wrong, but experience has taught me that returning children will get the first shot at openings. Makes sense, right? Then, friends get a shot at what's left and, after that, friends of friends. If anything's still available, we'll take a look at the newbies.


Unfortunately, we don't fit into that web just yet. We've been put on a waiting list and we will wait.


In the meantime, however, we will sign up again for more swimming lessons. Sonwun needs to complete his Sea Turtle training and then it's on to Salamander. Swimming lessons offer many of the same benefits as preschool, but just not to the same extent. He will continue to learn to get along with others, listen to a teacher, participate in a group effort, share and, well, swim.


The pool is currently closed for the annual cleaning and will re-open in about a week. This will help us get through the second month-long phase of mommy's training in Ottawa.


I've also been told there's a Mommy and Me group meeting somewhere in town and, based on past experience with them (see "Craft Time" on Feb. 19 and Bad Daddy on Sept. 2), I'm not exactly excited by the prospect. But again, it's good for the boys and I will survive.


There is also skating coming up as well as a tiny tots curling deal. I think we'll stay busy this winter, in spite of the preschool rejection.


Again, wish me luck. The next few days are major housecleaning days as mommy's home in two days, two hours and eight minutes. Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment