Friday, August 7, 2009

Four or Five Things

Well, I've found two more things to like about Thompson. I'm trying, I really am.


Thing 1: The Norplex swimming pool. It's an indoor pool with a great big waterslide that empties into a 2-foot swimming area. It's perfect for Sonwun to learn to trust his waterwings ("Floaties" if you ask him) and learn to stand in water that's up to his neck. We went there last Saturday afternoon and there were very few people. It was nice.


Thing 2: Paint Lake. We went there last Sunday. Nice size provincial park with several nice beach areas, some shore fishing and plenty of boat fishing if you have a boat. It's about 28 minutes from the house to the park and well worth the trip. Enjoyed a burger and beer at the marina, spent some time exploring the shore with Sonwun and Sontoo and even caught a small pike from shore - very small - but at least we caught something.


But back to Thing 1. I have signed Sonwun up for his first swimming lessons, which begin a week from Monday. The wife and I both believe in the importance of swimming lessons and it's great to have somewhere to take them. He will be in the "Sea Turtle" class.


This will be the first time, beyond babysitting, where I am entrusting my boy to the care of another. This time a perfect stranger in a potentially dangerous situation. I have mixed feelings about this. I know it's important that he learns to swim. I know it's important for him to meet and interact with other adult authority figures. I know it's important for him to meet and interact with children his own age. But it's hard. In the past, around water, I (or the wife) have never been more than arm's-length away. And now I must take the position of observer, bystander and do my best not to panic, leap into the pool or whatever.


Yeah, I know all you parents who have passed this stage are rolling your eyes right now. But I bet you went through the same thing with your first-born. Or maybe I'm just nuts - more than a few have suggested this over the years.


Anyway, this brings the total number of thing I like about Thompson to five, I think. Let's review:

Norplex

Paint Lake

Riverview Restaurant

Many shopping options within minutes of home.


. . . well, maybe it was four.

No comments:

Post a Comment