Saturday, August 15, 2009

One day to Go

Well, isn't this great timing. With one day to go until Mommy's departure for Ottawa, both of the boys have picked up a little cold. Oh, they're still active as always, but I'm dealing with a pair of double-barreled snot guns.


With each sneeze from Sontoo, we are scrambling to find a Kleenex before he runs his hand through the two streams of mucous connecting his nostrils with his chin. It's a pretty sight.


Sonwun seems to be coming out the other side of the cold cycle, having picked it up first. Sontoo is in the early stages and brings an extra level of concern, as he has developed croup in the past when sick. Each time it has meant a trip to the hospital, usually after midnight. We put a humidifier in his room last night, and will continue to do so until he is over the cold. With Mommy taking off tomorrow, I will also be packing a hospital bag with everything I will need for an extended visit at the ER, including food, drink and entertainment for the two boys. I really, really hope I don't need it.


So yes, it's packing day for mom. Tomorrow morning at 9 a.m., she will board a plane for Winnipeg. Once there, she will switch to a plane bound for Toronto, switch again in Toronto and board a plane for Ottawa. Not a fun day.


And I will begin a month of 24-7 care of the young 'uns. I'm a little nervous, but I'm sure we'll get through it. Hopefully these colds will clear up in short order so we can return to the regularly scheduled insanity. Mommy will come home for a short visit half-way through the course, and then it's another month on my own. But during that second session, my sister is planning a two-week visit, which will help keep me on an even keel.


To help keep both mommy and me sane, we have purchased a laptop and equipped it with Skype, so that she can see the boys and they can see her while she's away. It should also keep the phone bills at a minimum.


Anyway, that's the news. I just heard Sontoo do a double sneeze from the living room. Again, wish us luck. It's gonna be a long two months.

1 comment: