Thursday, August 20, 2009

No Title Today

Well, good morning. It's Day 4. Mommy comes home in 22 days, six hours and 42 minutes. Not that I'm counting.


So, what to tell you? Yesterday was a long and somewhat frustrating day as it seems Sonwun is working hard to figure out which of Daddy's buttons to push next. I suppose it's a normal part of development, but without a break, it's hard to deal with.


He's at that phase where his language skills are right up to par, but that little filter between his brain and his mouth has yet to develop. Each and every thought that enters his brain proceeds immediately to his mouth and out into the world. There isn't a question, relevant or not, that he holds back.


"Sonwun, pick up that blanket and put it back in your room."

"This blanket?" (There's only one within 50 feet of him and he's sitting on it).

"Yes, that blanket."

"In my room?"

"Yes, in your room."

"Why do I have to pick up the blanket?"

"Because I want to keep the living room clean."

"This blanket."

"Yes, Sonwun, that blanket."

"Why do we want the living room clean?"

"So that it looks nice."

"Why does it look nice?"

"Because we keep it clean, now take that blanket upstairs, let's go."

"Daddy?"

(Frustrated now) "Yes Sonwun?"

"I love you."


He at least knows enough to slip that one in at the end when he hears me getting annoyed.


But that was yesterday. Today's a new day and I'm looking forward to a good one.


I slept a little better last night. I am trying to implement the Better Sleep suggestions that I've found on various sleep disorder websites. Last night, I made it from 11 (my chosen bed time) to 5:30 without waking up too many times in between. That, for me, is a vast improvement.


I don't think I'll be taking any of the sleeping pills prescribed by my doctor on Tuesday. I had time to look them up on the net and HOLY CRAP. Wikipedia tells me it's a "highly potent, anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant . . . high potency, long acting drug and is a frequently abused street drug."


It is prescribed for, among other things, epilepsy, anxiety disorders, panic disorder, mania, hyperekplexia, bruxism, restless legs syndrome, hallucinogen persisting perception disorder and akathisia.


I don't know what half of those things are, but I'm pretty sure I don't have them. I just want a good night's sleep. Not a coma.


So, as I said, I don't think I'll be taking any of those - at least not while Mommy's away. On the other hand, I may just have found a way to make a little extra money to help with household expenses. Just kidding. Put down the phone. No need to call the police.


Anyway, it's six degrees here in lovely Thompson, Manitoba and the forecast is for rain. It's Day 4 of Sonwun's swimming lessons and I'm really looking forward to it, mostly because he is. There is a small mountain of laundry that requires my attention and two boys that always require my attention.


Have a good day all. I'm pretty sure I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment