Friday, August 28, 2009

Salamanders will have to Wait

So the two weeks of intense trials, training, blood, sweat and tears are over. The Sea Turtle swimming lessons have come to an end.


Sonwun did his best to learn all of the Sea Turtle skills: Entries and Exits, Jump into Chest-Deep Water, Front Float and Recovery, Basic Kick on Front and so on. And today was graduation day.


After lessons, the kids were handed their report cards and, well, it's hard for me to say, but Sonwun will remain a Sea Turtle for another round of lessons. He will not advance to Salamander. That crazy Bohemian teacher feels my boy is not ready to be a Salamander. Is she nuts?! I got your Salamander right here, complete with some concrete water wings.


I mean how dare she? I demand a recount. I've never seen anyone grasp the PDF and Me (assisted) skill better than my boy. He's the king of Shallow Water Movement. And Intro to Rhythmic Breathing: Breath Control? He's a natural.


Oh, the humiliation. Sure, he was the youngest in the class. Sure, the other kids have taken it two or three times already. But this is MY BOY. He should be skipping over Salamander and Sunfish and moving right through to Crocodile, all the while deciding which lucrative product endorsement contracts he will sign today.


And as if that wasn't enough, one of the other mothers actually stopped me as I was pulling out of the parking lot. She's never done that before.

"So . . ." she said.

"So what?" I asked.

"How did he do?"

"He's going to do Sea Turtle again," I mumbled.

"Oh, that's too bad. My boy's moving on to Salamander."

"Yeah, well, your boy is fat. And, just between you and me, aren't you a little concerned with the way he's looking at the other boys in the change room? Just something to think about."


Okay, I didn't say it. But I thought it, really hard.


But seriously, I am happy with the way things went. In spite of his effort, and progress, Sonwun is still a little leery about deep water, even when wearing a lifejacket. He's got some work to do before he's ready to hit the rough-and-tumble, cut-throat, dod-eat-dog world of the Salamander.


I know, the most important thing is that he thoroughly enjoyed his time in the pool. Every day, he couldn't wait to put on the swimsuit and hit the water. The teacher did an excellent job with all the kids and I'm looking forward to the next round of lessons and, hopefully, some improvement in the weaker areas as he gains more confidence in the water.


There will be no lessons for the next two weeks, as the annual Norplex pool draining and cleaning will be taking place. So that gives me 14 days to pump him up for a return to Sea Turtles. I've been in contact with a sports psychologist, who has agreed to see Sonwun tonight. But before that, he's got laps to run and then we're off to the weight room. No pain, no gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment