Friday, February 26, 2010

The Further Adventures of Bitty

"That one's nasty."

Hmm . . . I thought I was the only one that had noticed.

Little Bitty was up to her old tricks at playgroup Wednesday. And to be fair, I should point out that she took a break from mean-spirited attacks last Friday. She just played, which was refreshing to see.

But we are who we are and the Little Bitty I know and love was back to work Wednesday. Oh, and if you're not familiar with Bitty, you can learn a bit about her here.

Anyhoo, I was sitting on the reading carpet with Sontoo. We were looking over the fire truck book. A little guy, probably about two and change, walked by pushing one of those Flintstone cars that the kids love.

Bitty came out of nowhere. She ran up, pulled the kid's hands off the car, pushed him down and continued on her way pushing the car. I watched as she pushed the thing into a far corner and then, true to form, just left it there.

As I've said before, Bitty doesn't want the toy. She just wants to take it away from someone else. That's how she rolls.

So as her victim lay face down on the floor, wondering what had just happened, his mother swooped in. We exchanged glances, as I had witnessed the crime and she knew it.

I still don't know what to do in these situations. To some extent, you want the kids to sort these things out. And, generally, unless someone's bleeding profusely, I don't interfere with other people's kids. The parents of the kids can handle that.

If Bitty had done the same to Sontoo, I would have become involved.

"That one's nasty," the mother said to me as she picked her boy up off the floor.

"Yeah, I know," I said. "I'm familiar with her work."

A conversation followed regarding playgroup, parental responsibility and the possibility of an exorcism at next week's playgroup. Seems I'm not the only one that has observed Bitty's wanton disregard for the rules of fair play.

Anyhoo, a little while later, I'm sitting there with two other moms. Bitty walks by pushing a little stroller and fixing me with an icy stare. I shuddered a little and wondered if she read my last blog entry regarding her behaviour.

"That one's nasty," said one of the moms.

"Which one?" the other mom asked.

Subtle nods in Bitty's direction.

"She takes toys just to deprive other children of them," the mom said.

"Oohhh, I'll have to keep an eye on her."

Again, nice to know I'm not the only one who's watching.

Anyway, it's Friday. Playgroup day once again. Neomom's off this weekend. Yay! Canada plays Slovakia tonight at the Olympics, yay! And, with any luck, Sunday night we'll play for the gold medal. Yay!

But right now, I've got to get up, get dressed and get ready for playgroup. Must repack the diaper bag with a fresh change-table cloth, snacks, drinks, holy water and a crucifix. You can't be too careful.

Have a great weekend.

1 comment: