Monday, March 1, 2010

Great Weekend!

What a great weekend!

On Friday night, my neighbour Dave called. Neomom answered.

"Is your husband free tomorrow for . . ."

"Yes! Take him! He needs to get out of the house!"

So, on Saturday morning, Dave and I climbed aboard a couple of snowmobiles and headed out to join a rally. It was fan-freakin-tastic! We covered about 80 miles during the day. The sun was shining, the temperature was just below freezing, the trails were beautiful, the lakes were covered by more than a foot of powder . . . I loved it!

When I stopped to think about it, I realized I had not been out of the house, alone, for recreational purposes, since we moved here in July. Didn't realize how much I needed it.

I hadn't been on a sled for about seven or eight years. But it all came back in a flash. Flying over the powder on a frozen lake at 80 mph . . . exhilarating! Winding through tree-lined trails at 70 mph . . . what a rush! And just cruising along, taking in the sights . . . relaxing!

And then, of course, came Sunday . . . the gold medal hockey game. Neomom and I were glued to the TV. We watched every gut-wrenching second of the game and celebrated with the rest of the nation as Sid the Kid put away the overtime winner.

It was, without a doubt, the perfect end, make that the only end, to a fantastic winter Olympics. We simply had to win that game. It was the last event, the finale and, after such an outstanding performance by our athletes, it just had to end with another Canadian gold medal.

As one commentator put it, it was like the game to decide who won the Olympics. I know, it wasn't, it just felt that way to many Canadians. Our neighbours to the south still collected most of the medals, but we had our best performance in history and it was felt from coast to coast. So very, very cool for a nation that is usually very subtle and subdued about its patriotism.

I'm not sure what to do today. For two weeks, it's been nothing but Olympic coverage on TV. I will miss it.

And as far as favourite Olympic moment . . . I have to go with Jon Montgomery's gold medal in skeleton. He was just so excited, so honest with his emotions and so well spoken. And he's from Manitoba.

I just loved his triumphant arrival in Whistler Village after the win. Someone handed him a pitcher of beer and he took a big ol' Canadian swig and kept it around throughout his interview.

Anyhoo . . . great weekend! Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Thank the Hockey God that Sid scored when he did. If we had had to go into a shoot-out we would have lost against Ryan Miller. My fav moment? seeing Ryan and Lindy Ruff hugging. Living so close to border I have to admit being a Sabre's fan but I am a true blue Canuck. NeoDad - glad to hear you got out with your friend - finally

    ReplyDelete