Thursday, March 18, 2010

Knock Knock . . .

Bored, bored, bored, bored, bored.

I'm bored.

As scintillating as conversations with a 2- and 4-year-old can be, I'm finding myself in need of adult discourse. Which is, of course, why I try to use big words here once in a while. Makes me feel smarterer.

The boys have reached the "knock-knock" phase of their humour education. Well, maybe not so much humour as joke-telling.

Example from Sonwun's repertoire:

"Knock-knock daddy."

"Who's there?"

"Banana!"

"Banana who?"

"Banana nana, farkle, foogle, doodle face."

This is, of course, followed by gales of laughter from both of my young charges.

It was almost cute the first 400 times. And, to make matters worse, Sontoo has picked up on the hilarity and tries to follow suit.

Summer's coming, summer's coming, summer's coming . . . I hope.

After an unseasonably warm beginning to March, we're getting bitch-slapped by the weather gods again. I knew the +10 temperatures were just a big tease, but I held out hope nevertheless.

But, as expected, the temperatures will fall back to the mid -20s this week, trapping us once again inside the house of humour. As a stay-at-home dad, I think I'm beginning to understand why valium was so popular in the 60s, 70s and 80s with stay-at-home moms. I'm guessing sales were off the charts in the winter months.

Anyhoo, enough bitching for one morning. Yesterday was a particularly violent day at playgroup. Sonwun took a good belt from teeter-totter seat under the chin. Bruised, but not broken. No blood, all good.

Little Bitty had a rough day too. She ran up against an 18-month-old with an attitude almost as big as hers. Bitty was doing her slide domination routine and the little 18-month-old was having none of it. This sweet little angel wound up and delivered a right hook to Bitty's left eye that Ali would have been proud of.

I did my best not to laugh. But if mommy ain't gonna teach the rules, the playground will. Kids have a remarkably pure sense of right and wrong, as well as justice. It's sometimes quite refreshing to watch.

Anyhoo, that's been my week thus far.

Have a great Thursday. The weekend's almost here . . . and summer's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment