Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blocked Again

Well, Happy Thursday.

-32C here this morning in the Great White North. That's -26F for my friends in the south.

I'm a little troubled this morning. For a couple of reasons. First off, I've missed posting for the last day or two. I sit down in the morning with my big cup of coffee and find myself blocked. Nothing to write about.

I know there is always something to write about, but I just can't find it or the inspiration to make it work. I've started a blog post each day, but it sits on my computer screen all day and I just can't finish. Hmph.

And second, I am sleeping better and I don't know why. What's more, I don't know why it bothers me. I should be thrilled, right?

But I have to question it. As I must question everything.

Nothing has changed in my life. I'm not getting any more exercise, any more time out of the house. Stress levels have not been altered . . . why am I sleeping so much better?

And, as I sit here right now, at 6:38 a.m., I am once again blocked.

Fight it.

Talked this morning on skype to an old high school friend. He was at the airport in the Cayman Islands, heading for Alberta for a family wedding. He wouldn't tell me the temperature there. I am grateful.

Steve was one of my best friends from about Grade 8 through Grade 12. He's now got a 17-year-old daughter and a 14-year-old son. Time flies.

The first time I got drunk it was at Steve's house with our other buddies, Chris and Doug. We'd purchased, and I forget exactly how, as we were all underage, a bottle of Peppermint Schnapps. The other three had a shot or two and decided they didn't like it. I finished the bottle and, a short time later, had a worship session at the porcelain altar.

But, as is so often the case, we all drifted apart after high school. I've never met Steve's kids, or Chris's or Doug's for that matter. Nor have they met mine. Steve is the only one I've been in touch with, sporadically, over the years. Never face-to-face, just over the Internet on facebook or skype, or msn messenger.

As far as I know, Doug is the only one who stayed in the Niagara area. Chris moved out to BC and Steve, as I mentioned, is in the Caymans.

See? This is what I mean by writer's block. I'm babbling on about irrelevant crap with no purpose, no real humour, no point. When I have a decent post, something to write about, it usually will start with an interesting, or catchy, opening line. At the end of my writing, I usually look back to the opening line and try to tie it to the closing line. That's decent writing, that's entertaining.

This is not. Sorry.

It's cold, I'm in Thompson, I have writer's block.

Happy Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. I was in Grand Cayman last week. It was 82F. Do you feel better now?

    Then you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but it's commendable that you sit down and do it. That's pretty much how i felt about my post yesterday. You've got to keep it alive. Twenty-six below?! That's insane. I'd be sleeping, too. For days. I start wanting to hibernate when it goes below 40 here in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete