Monday, February 15, 2010

Go Canada Go!

Not sure if it was the two-day-old taco salad, or a stomach flu relapse, but last night was not a good one for me.

I'll leave it at that.

This morning, coffee in hand, I'm feeling better. And I'm ready for another day of Olympic fun. Much to the dismay of Sonwun and Sontoo, the TV has been tuned to the Olympic channel pretty much all day since Friday night. Good-bye Dora, good-bye Diego.

It's one of the joys of being the stay-at-home parent. I get to watch it all. And yes, I've seen each of Canada's medal victories so far. Great stuff. Go team go!

All three of my favourite moments, thus far, have been at events where Canada has medalled. Big surprise, yes?

In the women's moguls, where Canadian Jenn Heil took silver, I enjoyed watching American Shannon Bahrke. For those of you that didn't watch this event, there are three giant pillows that the top three skiers sit in. As better scores come in, those three are bumped down and, eventually, off the big pillows.

It can't be easy to sit there, waiting for the big bump. But Bahrke's enthusiasm for the new winners felt real. She started in the top spot and with each bump, she enthusiastically congratulated the new top dog. And when a team mate fell during her run, she met her at the bottom of the hill with a giant hug. Great to see.

Others on the big pillows congratulated new winners, but for most of them it looked more like a formality than a heart-felt expression of camaraderie.

Bahrke ultimately took bronze, by the way.

In speed skating, I loved watching Kristina Groves. Again, the enthusiasm she showed, the little dance when she won, the little dance on the podium . . . the unbridled joy was just fantastic to see. She grabbed bronze in the 3000m event. I just loved watching her.

And finally, Canada's golden boy, Alex Bilodeau, who brought home the top prize last night in the men's moguls. An awesome display, made better by his older brother Frederic. I won't get into the entire story there, but it was cool. (You can read more about it here.) Alex's brother has cerebral palsy and, according to the gold medallist, Frederic has inspired him and taught him many life lessons that contributed to the drive to win. Really cool to watch Frederic celebrate his little brother's victory!

Anyhoo, as for the MTV, etalk additions to CTV's coverage of the games, I'm tolerating the extra crap. It has not been as offensive as it was the first morning.

I still don't care about who's dating who and I have yet to see an MTV bit that I actually find funny or amusing or even mildly entertaining. But at least it's not as offensive as the opening night recap.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Go CANADA!

1 comment:

  1. I'm still boycotting after NBC's crass treatment of the Georgian that died.

    I'm glad Canada is doing well! I heard that in the last two Canadian games that no gold went to the host country. I hope that you crazy Canuks whoop some worldwide tail!

    ReplyDelete