Saturday, February 13, 2010

CTV Olympic Morning Coverage Failure

Wow. Mixed feelings about CTV's Olympic coverage thus far.


On the one hand, I enjoy the Canada AM crew. Always have. Bev, Seamus, Jeff and Marcie come across as friendly, fun, cohesive and very Canadian.


But they've added to the coverage crew, as I expect is necessary. And some of these folks leave a lot to be desired. A whole lot.


This morning I was watching a segment entitled Freeze Frame, or something. It came across as unfriendly, unfun, divisive and very unCanadian. These two twits, apparently MTV personalities, sitting in front of the CTV fireplace, took cheap shots at those involved or attending the opening ceremonies from the "Royal Box" occupants to the dancers who welcomed the world's athletes.


But most notably, and most annoyingly, they used a telestrator (sp?) to circle the face of Wayne Gretzky's six-year-old daughter and then comment on the amount of makeup she was wearing.


Where the hell do you people get off? Was everyone having too much fun? Was it just too friendly and, well, nice? What the hell possesses you to go after a six-year-old on national television. You're sick, you're stupid and you're just not funny.


Here's hoping that little segment gets cancelled before these two morons get any more air time.


And I'd be happy to see them scrap the etalk "reporter" that I saw this morning in the main broadcast. I'm tuning in to watch the Olympics, not to hear who Sara McLaughlin is dating, or was seen with or breaking up with or whatever. Don't give a shit. If I want to watch trashy celebrity gossip, I'll tune in to etalk. Don't mix it in with my Olympic coverage, thank you very fucking much.


Yeah, I'm a little irritated this morning. I have been looking forward to watching the Olympics and this kind of crap really annoys me. I want to see the games, hear about the Canadian athletes and other athletic success stories from around the world.


Save the celebrity gossip and mean-spirited attacks on six-year-olds for MTV and etalk. That way I don't have to watch it. I don't give a shit where you put them, just get them out of the main coverage of the Olympics.


Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Yep. CBC reigns for Olympic coverage. The move to CTV was unfortunate. ; ( Hopefully CBC wins the rights from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more, NeoDad. I'm not a huge fan of Canada AM, but I do agree that the four regular hosts are consumate pro's - and represent us well, generally speaking.

    But the rest of the bunch are a total write off. In addition to the bits you mentioned, Darren Jones also did a crappy segment (titled something asinine like Bet You Didn't Know That) - and managed to remain as "unfunny" and "un-entertaining" as he ever was on the Rick Mercer Report.

    And don't get me started on the "scintillating" coverage of a bunch of 20-somethings whooping it up and passing shooters around in front of a fireplace last night. Great wholesome image to project to my 10 & 11 year old kids (who I'd let stay up late expressly for the purpose of witnessing a great cultural and athletic event.)

    Sorry - you kinda got me set off on a rant there... I guess I shoulda just said "Yeah, I agree".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shell - I LIKE Darren Jones! I actually thought the coverage wasn't bad yesterday (Saturday). Tuned in this morning and I saw the 2 people I think you were talking about Mike. Ugh. One was a woman who looked like a red-haired Ann Coulter. Couldn't get past bad associations. She seemed vapid : ( Perhaps I'll just flip when I see them coming! At least Brian Williams is there. Always appreciate him. Mike - latest thoughts?

    ReplyDelete