Monday, November 2, 2009

Last Post on H1N1

Happy Monday!


It's a lovely -11C (12.2F) here in the Great White North this morning, but were headed for a high of -9 (15.8F).


Well, we've made our decision. The boys and I, as well as Neomom, will hopefully be getting our flu shots today. We've been told the vaccine is in short supply and today might be the last day it's available here for a while.


At noon, we will head for the mass vaccination clinic here in town and, hopefully, will not have to spend several hours waiting for it.


So how did we come to this decision? Difficult to say exactly. I've been reading everything I can find on the subject and, well, those on the "yes" side of the equation have just seem a tad more credible. In addition, Sontoo tends to get the Croup when any virus or infection invades his little body. I don't know what that would mean with H1N1, but I know it's not good with a simple cold. It is, at times, even scary and I think it's best to do whatever I can to mitigate that problem.


This whole mess feels just a little like Horton Hears a Who. Conventional wisdom, the system, the government, the medical community in general, is telling my family to get the shot. But there are a just a few Horton's out there telling me not to; that there is something on that dust speck and this time it's evil. It will harm my child. Best to boil that dust speck.


I hope Horton is wrong this time.


But even as I write this, I am waffling. I've spoken with parents on both sides of this one as well, and none of us want to make the wrong decision. And by wrong decision, I don't mean that we skip the shot and the kids get the flu. I'm talking about flu complications, and worst case scenarios.


And even today I know I'm not alone. Watching on-line news this morning, I watched two "experts" argue the merits and demerits of the H1N1 vaccine. It makes it so fucking difficult for a "non expert" to know what's right when there is no clear answer and so much is, potentially, at stake.


As of right now, 8:26 a.m., the plan is to get vaccinated for both seasonal and H1N1. The clinic doesn't open until noon. I will not post this until we get back, if we go.


(Pause while I go about my daily routine and wrestle with my decision).


Okay, it's done. It's now 2 p.m. and the waffling is over. Both boys and I got the seasonal vaccine as well as the H1N1. Neomom just went with the H1N1. She hates needles.


My arms are sore and I expect that Sonwun and Sontoo are feeling the same way. They are both, however, currently enjoying a nap.


So that's it. We're either all protected or we're all in deep poop. Only time will tell. And, hopefully, this will be my final post on H1N1 and vaccines. Ever!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike
    Tough decision but at least you researched and made a decision!! We are in a different age bracket - at least, our kids are and so i none of us got immunized.
    Love you and miss you guys!! Say Hi to neomom and wun and too for me.

    ReplyDelete