Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Loose Tooth Too Early

So, Sonwun has two loose teeth. And no, according to the Mayo Clinic website, it isn't natural. These things are supposed to start happening around age 6. Sonwun is just shy of 4.


But Sonwun is an active little bugger and is now incorporating his new toy (Sontoo) in his daredevil, live-on-the-edge games.


And yesterday, the game was hide-in-a-blanket. The basic premise of this game, as best I could tell, was that one of them gets wrapped up in the big fluffy comforter (the fort) and the other is the invader who jumps/falls/rolls onto the structure in an attempt to gain access to said fort. Then they both laugh hysterically and do it all over again.


Well, as with most of these games, it's not long before someone is crying. And yesterday it was Sonwun. While Sontoo wandered about the living room looking for the next game, Sonwun was screaming bloody murder. Seems that in the course of the game, he'd landed teeth-first on Sontoo's skull.


Sontoo, even at 18 months, is a bit of a tank. Doesn't complain much unless food is at issue. The teeth to the skull didn't seem to bother him in the least. I did check his head after I learned what happened and didn't find any bite marks. Must have been protected by the fort. (The fort is strong in this one.)


In any case, when I got Sonwun settled ("Hey, look, Diego's on . . . silence.") I took a look to see where or if he was hurt, as I missed the actual episode.


No blood on the lips, no blood on his head, no new obvious marks on his face . . . ah, there we go. A thin line of blood where his front tooth meets the gum. I've seen this kind of thing before, in the mirror. (That's a bunch of stories for another day) So I immediately grabbed the tooth and gave it a little wiggle. And it wiggled. Not much, but enough that I knew he'd done a little damage.


Nothing seemed broken, or too loose, so I figured it would be okay. Checked with my trusted advisors at Dadstayshome.com, who suggested I call a dentist, which I did. As I suspected, they said the tooth would probably tighten up again and there was no cause for concern. Just give him a little Tylenol before bed and check it again in the morning.


I checked the Mayo clinic site, by the way, just to find out, in the event of a worst-case-scenario, how long Sonwun one would be a gap-toothed wonder before his adult teeth started to come in. Also wanted to know if losing a tooth this early would impact the proper alignment of the adult teeth. No worries. If he loses it, all should be fine.


Anyway, busy day ahead. Must go grocery shopping as soon as the store opens, so I can make Playgroup by 9:30, which will give me the afternoon to do the laundry and get supper ready.


Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment