Thursday, October 1, 2009

Highway to Hell

Well, apparently I'm going to hell.


If, that is, you believe some oversized preacher who shall remain nameless. He just doesn't merit a mention.


Quoting, or perhaps misquoting, out of context, a verse in 1st Timothy, this preacher (and, to be fair, one other that I know of) says that because I have chosen to stay home and raise my boys, I am bound for hell.


On one of his televised, televangelist episodes, this preacher says I, and all stay-at-home dads, am too lazy to work and support my children.


"You call yourself Mr. Mom," he says, as the camera pans to the audience, showing men nodding solemnly in agreement. "God calls you a bum . . . Let me look you right in the eye and tell you that hell is your future home."


Wow. That's a little bit of an eye-opener. And, for the record, why don't you bring yourself to Thompson and look me right in the eye when you say that. I would beg to differ.


I don't claim to be perfect but, as I read the Bible, I'm not called upon to be so. It's impossible. I am a sinner, granted and well documented. But I'm not taking this dude's word on my eternal destination.


So I decided to look up this rather condemning verse. After all, as a reporter, I learned its best to go right to the source and avoid second-hand information.


1st Timothy 5:8 is the verse in question. And forgive me if I don't have a King James version handy, so we'll have to go with the New International Version. (I suspect using anything other than ol' King James probably merits a ticket to hell as well, in some minds).


"If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."


Now, assuming that the pursuit of money is the only way to provide for a family, sounds pretty bad for me and my brethren. But, just for giggles, let's look at the verses leading up to this one, shall we?


Starting at chapter five, verse 1: (Start at verse 1? But why?)


"Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.

Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. But if a widow has children, or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.


The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help. But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives. Give the people these instructions too, so that no one may be open to blame. If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."


Now call me crazy, but I don't think this particular section is aimed at us stay-at-home dads. It seems to me that we're talking about taking care of family in need and, in this section in particular, widows. Your dead brother's wife, or your mom after your dad dies. Am I wrong?


So why is this guy picking on us stay-at-home dads?


Well, if history is any teacher, when you're a televangelist, you need an audience. And, as Hollywood has proven time and again, if you're popularity is such that no one is tuning in any more, you need to throw out some controversy, spice things up a bit, piss people off. For a televangelist, that keeps the poor saps glued to the TV on Sunday morning and, most importantly, keeps the cash flowing. And that way, his wife doesn't have to work; just sit quietly at his side, nod when appropriate, stay quiet and do what she's told.


So, I don't think I'm hell-bound for the sin of taking care of my children at home. My wife and I are a team and together we decided she needed to pursue her dream of a job in the RCMP. When it came time to have children, we decided that, after a year of maternity leave, it would be best for all of us if I stayed home with the boys. When we needed a little extra money, I worked at night and she worked during the day. Someone was home with the boys at all times because we believe that is important.


I'm not condemning or looking down on anyone who decides it's best to send the kids to daycare. Your team, your family, needs to decide what is best for all of you. I'm just saying this is what we believe is best for us and our boys.


I will have to wait for the big dirt nap to find out if the fat preacher was right and I was wrong. But I think I'm right, I think we're right.


And hey, now that I have the Bible out again, maybe I'll just look up a few other things. I'll start with false prophets, move on to gluttony and then do a little digging around for heresy. Just wanted to see what the source has to say about the future home of folks who practice these things.



2 comments:

  1. You are going to hell.


    Your room will be next to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like l'il Johnny said to the teacher, "I like the way y think."

    I've been reading as well. Not the Book, but about the Book.

    Turn's out that the more I read the Ph.D's in the history of religious literaure, them's thats researched antiquity literature and the history of the times, the more I see the hand of 19 centuries of 'power mongers' manipulating people by writing and editing literature that we refer to as the "word of god."

    So your preacher friend is misquoting very suspect literature. Kinda puts credulity to the test.

    Sorry for that run on sentence. I know that the Niagara Advance would have made it into a couple of sentences.

    I enjoy your take on life and keep up the the householding. By all accounts you're doing a hell of a job!

    ReplyDelete