Friday, May 7, 2010

Friday

Happy Friday!

So, the deck is complete. Well, to be more accurate, the decking part of the deck is complete. Still need to add stairs and railings. But I like what I've done so far.

And, yesterday morning, it being a balmy -8C outside, with no wind, I enjoyed a coffee on my handiwork. Loved it!

In addition to the deck, I feel I earned some extra dad points yesterday. Climbed about 20' up into a tree (okay, the first 10 I used the ladder) and hung a rope. Now, in most other places, it would be easy to find something to hang on that rope so that Sonwun could swing. I was thinking one of those disk thingies. A tire? No. He'd clock himself, or Sontoo, in the head with it. Guaranteed.

So, off I went to the local Canadian Tire and Walmart, as these are really the only places here in hell that might sell such an item. And yet, neither one did. So I searched and searched. And then I saw it. An eight-inch lawnmower wheel. With a half-inch hole for the axle. I used half-inch rope. A match made in heaven.

So I bought it, attached it, and the boy didn't leave the swing all day. And it was a fight to get him to come in for lunch, supper and bedtime. Yay! We also picked up a small play structure/slide combo for Sontoo. He seems to love that as well.

Anyhoo, with these backyard improvements in place, today I've invited a few of the moms from playgroup over. Playgroup was cancelled this week and I'm sure we're all a little starved for adult interaction. And I'm sure the kids would like some folks their own age to swing with, run around with and throw sand at. Good times all around.

This is my first time playing host for a "playdate," so I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Other than that, the weather is supposed to be getting nicer in the next four or five days, which should allow me to get my railings and stairs installed to complete the deck. Looking forward to it.

Have a Great Weekend!

1 comment: