Sunday, August 5, 2012


Woke up in my own bed this morning. And I'm not necessarily happy about it.

For the last three weeks, I've been travelling, camping, travelling and camping some more . . . with my wife and my boys. Without TV, without radio, without internet, without cell phone. I was actually surprised to realize the Olympics were on when we got home.

And it was good.

I have much to tell you about, much to share, because I did carry a little notebook. Didn't get a chance to make all the notes I wanted. Didn't have it with me swimming, or fishing, or when I saw . . . the wild beast. More on that later.

Bottom line is we covered more than 4,400 kilometres making our way from the Ontario-Manitoba border, along Highway 17 to our furthest point east. This was a few kilometres east of Timmins, Ontario. Wow, Timmins is a lot bigger than I thought it was. Who knew? And it's so much closer to Quebec than I thought. Who knew?

Me. 

Why? 

Cause I went there. 

And then, we made our way back, on Highway 11, which is north of Highway 17, all the way back to the Manitoba border. We stopped in 5 different Provincial Parks, staying anywhere from three to five nights, visited family on Manitoulin Island, saw towns I'd only heard of, and generally had a blast. 

It was the shakedown cruise for our brand new, 2012 Starcraft Starflyer pop-up tent trailer. It served us well.

Anyway, that's what I plan to write about for the next little while. Again, it's for me. I want a record for my boys and I love to write. And being outside of my rut for a couple of weeks has made me want to write again and more. I now understand why many of the great writers travelled so much. You meet new people, see new places, try new things, eat new food, drink new drinks, wear new shirts, feed new animals . . . and it's fun.

Go camping, all of you. Now! And leave the cell phone, iPad, Blackberry, Android and all that crap at home.

Gotta post this now. Just to get back into the swing of things. 

More coming. Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment