Thursday, August 30, 2012

Error F3


Wow, that was a hot one yesterday. It actually hit 36.6C (97.9F). For Manitoba, late August, that's pretty warm.

But, in spite of the heat, I managed to get two more jars of dill pickles made . . . before the stove officially cacked, died, bit the big one. And it really is my fault.

See, a few days ago, when we turned on the stove, it started heating up, and then it started beeping. And beeping. The little digital window showed an F3 error. Well, I, in my arrogant brilliance, knew what to do. I googled it. And, according to some anonymous dude on an anonymous site, F3 meant my sensor was toast. All I had to do was replace it. 

And, being a fairly handy guy, I knew I could do it myself. So, I took the back off the stove, unplugged and removed the sensor and headed to the local parts shop. Got myself a new $70 sensor, headed home, installed it, done! Zippadeedoodaday!

Now, I should point out that I installed it correctly. That was not my error. My error was not a technical one, but a spiritual one. Quite biblical in nature actually. It was pride. And, as we all know, Proverbs 16:18 warns that "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."

But I was feelin' pretty good about myself and my handyman skills. I bragged to Neomom about how much money we'd just saved as a result of my brilliance. I praised the Internet and suggested the computer had paid for itself through this and several other home repairs I've been able to pull off without having to call in an expensive expert. I may even have suggested putting an ad in the yellow pages and making a fortune. Yep, my handyman skills and Google. Match made in heaven. 

My spirit may have been a tad on the haughty side.

So, the destruction, the fall. Yesterday, I turn on the stove to sterilize my pickling jars. BEEP . . . BEEP . . . BEEP. Error - F3.

So, back to Google. And, sure enough, there were other possibilities for the F3 error. And, having now replaced the $70 sensor, I was left to conclude that it was more likely the $300 to $500 control panel. And I confirmed that with a qualified professional, live, in person, not on the internet.

Anyhoo, today I'm oven shopping.

Have a great Thursday.

P.S. That biblical quote did not come from memory. I googled it. So if it's wrong, don't blame me.

No comments:

Post a Comment