Sunday, November 20, 2016

3 a.m.

Well, it's been a while. 

I've been spending some time going back and reading my posts, my favourite ones from 2009 and 2010. The boys were small, I was a stay-at-home dad (SAHD) and life was very, very different.

Today, I am no longer an SAHD. I am working for an insulation company, the wife is no longer an RCMP member and the boys are much, much more independent. We left Manitoba and are now living back in Ontario. But some things have not changed.

I saw a meme on Facebook a while back that said something about 3 a.m. being the time for writers, painters, poets, musicians, silence seekers, overthinkers and creative people. And as wacky as that all sounds, I think there's something to it.

I am usually awake at 3 a.m., seeking silence, over-thinking things and resisting the urge to start writing again. Not sure why I've resisted. I do enjoy tapping away at the keyboard, trying to sort out everything from how to properly install a new door to raising my boys in such a way that I give them the freedom they need to grow, with the guardrails they need to survive. It's often overwhelming and I think I need to write again to help myself sort it all out.

 So I'm gonna give it another shot.

As it is now almost 7 a.m., I feel like the 3 a.m. magic is gone. It's a Sunday and I have no real plans for the day. My mind is on the job I need to finish Monday. I think that's unfortunate. My job rarely invades magic time. 

In any case, I'm gonna leave it here for now and await 3 a.m. tomorrow. I'm not promising myself genius, but I do want to write again. I used to be pretty good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment