Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Generously donated . . .


And, just like that, school time is upon us.

Can't say I'm not ready. Been a wonderful summer and all that, but any semblance of a routine has kinda gone the way of the dodo. There are times when routine isn't all bad.

Anyhoo, I've taken Sonwun shopping for clothes. And, if I do say so myself, I did an awesome job. Five pair of pants, eight shirts, all for less than $100. And my efforts, combined with some "experienced" clothes kindly offered by a friend with a slightly older son, have made us dressed and ready.

Now then, school supplies. Ecole Crescentview School kindly provides a list of things Sonwun will need for his Grade 2 academic experience. And I really do try to keep a sense of humour when I read that list, and do my shopping.

Sometimes the list makers challenge me.

So, pencil case, check.
"1 Oversize t-shirt, for painting," check. (One of my failed tie-dye experiments. Perfect for art!)
"1 Sturdy backpack," check.

"Water bottle, (Rubbermaid drink box with straw please) 473 ml or 16 oz." Um, I guess they've discovered it's just easier to have water at the desk of every child instead of allowing them out to use the fountain. But I gotta think it increases bathroom trips. Well, I'm sure someone's done the math. So, check!

"1 Large box Kleenex." Um, this is the second time they've used a trademark name without using the little ™ symbol. Interesting. But check!

"1 box medium size Ziploc (no little ™ again) freezer bags. Not sure what these are for. Must remember to ask Sonwun. They were required for Grade 1 as well.

Let's see, "1 set earphones." These, I've been told, are for computer class. I'm still adjusting to the fact that my son needed a computer class in Grade 1 and Grade 2. Not a Luddite, just older.

"1 USB flash drive (4GB)." Now you're just messing with me.

And gym clothes and gym bag wrap up the must-haves.

I need not purchase anything else. Why? Well, apparently it's because of the generosity of the Portage La Prairie School Division. See, at the bottom of my little list, which is from the Portage La Prairie School Division, there is a little paragraph that makes me laugh, then cry, then fume a little. 

It says, in part . . 

"In order to reduce fees/supply costs to parents the Portage La Prairie School Division has generously donated $20.00 per child to each school in the division . . ." blah, blah, blah.

Um . . . school division . . . don't school divisions collect taxes? Oh yes they do. And what is the money they collect, through taxes, non-optional taxes, supposed to be used for? Um . . . what was that again? Education! Teachers, buildings, SUPPLIES!!

"GENEROUSLY DONATED????"

Are you freakin' kidding me? They took my freakin' money and when they use it as they are legally obligated, they are "generously donating??" 

Fine, thanks. Now where is my special mention for "generously donating" my share of the taxes, in order to reduce the burden on the school division? Where's my plaque, where's my parade?

Oh, and before I forget, I would like to thank the local utility board for generously donating the water I use.

If this is truly a donation, it means you took more taxpayer money than was necessary. So take that $20, per student, off the tax bill, and let each parent decide whether or not they wish to "donate" to the school. If it is not a "donation" but simply the cost of doing school business, then take that annoying line off the list of school supplies. A tax dollar used for its intended purpose is not generous, and is not a donation. (It may be a rare thing, but that's another rant.)

I'm done. Have a nice Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment