Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Huh?

"Pricks . . . pricks . . . pricks!"

It's 6:30 a.m., it's still dark and it's snowing outside. It's my time, daddy time. It's a time usually reserved for checking emails, facebook, fantasy football and blogging. But, as so often is the case, I am joined by at least one of my early-rising progeny. I count myself lucky if they sleep past 6 a.m.

And, as I sit here, Sonwun is racing for his life in MarioKart. That doesn't disturb me. It's Christmas vacation after all. But his mumbling is beginning to make me nervous.

"Pricks . . . pricks."

I mean, I understand getting a little frustrated with the other racers in the game. I've played, I know it's annoying when you get bumped off a bridge, or someone throws a turtle at you. We've all been there. But maybe his response is a little harsh.


So I glance toward the TV.

Now you have to understand, Sonwun is in Grade 1 and learning to read. And he loves it. Every car trip, to the store or to the library, is a reading adventure. He reads street signs, billboards and the bags the groceries come in. He's good, but he's not yet perfect.

And right now, as he decides which MarioKart mode to race in, he's reading.

He has no trouble with the word "Grand" but the word "Prix" is giving him some trouble. So he repeats it and repeats it, trying to understand.

"Pricks."

Anyhoo, at least I get to start my day with a smile. Have a great hump day. Celebrate as you see fit.


P.S. Not sure why I can't get the size and font I want throughout this blog. Must be a bug in the designers' system. Pricks.

3 comments:

  1. No kidding, fix up this mess! lol

    I laughed the whole time I read this. That's hilarious! I totally understand too, Jordan reads every snippet of text she comes across, and sometimes it completely boggles my mind. Then I respond by saying "Okay, What?" Some kind of weird word. "Spell it." A Z Q P O O O H 96 E "Just bring it here and show it to me." The best is when it's some kind of product code or serial number. As if my brain isn't addled enough these days.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for the record? Those MarioKart bastards really can be pricks sometimes, with their banana peels and blue shells of death. I'm with him on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of the mouths of babes come some real gems ! Innocent and pure. Thanks for the smile and memories of my Little Guy who is not so little anymore ... as he boasts on facebook pix of him kissing his girlfriend while skating at Harbourfront in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete