Thursday, March 19, 2009

A little breathing room

Well, we have some solid deadlines to work with now. The move to Thompson will take place in the Fall.


Got word last week and the wife will head to Ottawa in August for the 40-day training program, after which we will head north for the three-year apprenticeship program in Thompson.


It's nice to have dates. It makes it so much easier to plan the sale of the house, the minor renovations for sale, the house-hunting trip and so on.


I gotta tell you, I was in a bit of a panic mode last week. The powers that be were trying to get the wife into Ottawa for the April 20 course. That would have meant a three-week assessment in Winnipeg for the wife, starting almost immediately, followed almost immediately again by the trip to Ottawa. And that, my friends, would have left me with the two kids and a house to spruce up and sell, as well as a trip to Thompson to buy another. Lots of work and stress for a 10-week period.


So now, at least, we can take a little time to digest the change and make it happen. And while that seems like good news, the downside is that we must now make the move to Thompson at the beginning of winter. It's a little more treacherous on the driving front and a little less pleasant setting up house.


In any case, today I will head to Winnipeg to begin the process of severing the house and 20 acres from the rest of my property. The real estate agent told me I will get more for the properties separately than as a single unit. So that's the plan. It's also Playgroup day, and I will just have to miss that. The wife has a day off and she will take Sonwun and Sontoo while I do the running around. Good deal.


In the next few weeks, the wife and I will pick one of about a dozen little projects we have to do, each time she has a few days off. That should put the house in proper order in time for sale. I think I've said it before, but there's much to do and, even with the reprieve, not much time to do it.


Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment