Friday, February 27, 2009

Poker Night

So, as part of my plan to make a million playing poker on line, I entered my first cash tournament last night. It cost me $2.20 of my $5 gift from PokerStars.


Fifteen minutes before the tournament began, I sat watching as the number of players entered rose: 542, 543, 544. The maximum number of entries was set at 2,750. If that many get in before registration closes, it will take a long night of poker to win. But hey, the more that enter, the more money on the line. Thirteen minutes to go, 600 entered.


I've played poker on line for several years now. But never for cash. I've played in my local bar on Wednesday nights. Again, not for cash. I've played with my buddies on a Friday night. That one's for cash, and I usually do fairly well. Actually, in most of the games, I do okay. But this is the first on-line cash game and I'm interested to see how people play it.


Ten minutes to go, 700 players entered.


Okay, five minutes to go. 975 players entered. Checklist time:

Kids are in bed.

Dog and cat have been fed.

VCR is taping Hell's Kitchen for later.

I've peed.

Fire's been stoked.


We're good.


I check the list of players. There are poker fans from all over North America and beyond. I see Montreal, Welland, Los Angeles, Sioux Lookout, Toronto, Dahlonega, Snohomish, Belfast, London, Quebec and Moscow to name but a few. Registration is now closed. 1,770 players have entered. The prize pool is $3,540. First prize is $557.56. Those who finish between 241st and 252nd get the bottom prize of $3.18. Game on.


Seventeen minutes in. 250 players have been eliminated. I've had one good hand and a couple not too bad. I've bluffed a few times and have not been caught. I've more than doubled the stake I started with. Not bad, but could be better.


Okay, we're almost one hour in. I'm holding, but not improving. And in these tournaments you need to be improving. You also need to not panic. That is, at times, difficult. When your chip count is getting low, it's always tempting to go all in with a marginal hand, just to catch up. Patience my friend, patience. Breathe.

Yes, I am low stack at the table right now. But there is plenty of time. Okay, just bluffed and got caught. It is now officially panic time. Extremely low stack. All in with Queen-Ten suited. Guy calls with 9-10 off suit. Flops the nine, picks up the 10 on the turn. Got two of my spades on the flop, didn't get the last one. Game over. I'm not rich, finished in 955th place.


Okay, lessons learned? Stay the course, unless you need to veer off course. Be patient, be patient, be patient, until you need to increase your stack now, now, now. It's a long tournament. Play quality hands and don't push a bluff beyond what you can afford to lose. Unless it's a great bluff.


Okay, I've still got $3.80 left and I'm ready for the next tournament. Big money's a comin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment